Sunday, August 18, 2013

Busy Busy Busy

I was too tired yesterday to write so I'll recap both days in one.  Sunday went by too quickly.  Since Ikea was not an option today, we heard about another store, closer to our apartment, where we could buy necessities and of course lights.  We took the train a few stops, grabbed some hot dogs, watched a giant clown entertain the crowds and arrived at Clas Ohlson. 
This store reminded me of a cross between Target and Home Depot but on a much smaller scale.  We had a giant list, but only a few arms to carry it all back.  The lighting department was interesting to say the least.  It took us 15 minutes to figure out which lightbulb we needed for each fixture.  I was able to finally buy a hair dryer and of course I had to purchase a bunch of other "basic needs when you move into a new home" items as well.  The boys did not want any part of  Clas Ohlson (especially after we spent 30 minutes in the lighting department) so imagine the scene we Americans made!  Check out Steve in the train after leaving the store.  His backpack is fully loaded with goodies as well.  Don't you love the drying rack?  This might make my laundry experience a little better!
After all of this, our lighting situation is still not resolved.  I won't go into detail other than my husband has hit his breaking point.  He was not a happy camper yesterday.  At midnight he was making runs to the other apartment and also sneaking our trash into a street dumpster.  We found out today from our neighbors that the only place to dump large trash items is 20 minutes outside of the city so we broke our first Swedish law and dumped our junk in the dumpster down the street.  Jake is an accomplish.  We bribed him to help if Daddy promised to shoot some hoops after the crime.  
This morning we had to be at the school for orientation at 8:30.  Then we had an appointment at the tax office at 10:00.  We still dont have all the paperwork filed for our personal  numbers.  I have another trip there tomorrow and hopefully that will complete it.  Then we wait 4-6 weeks to receive it.  In  Sweden, you cant do much of anything without this number.  I'm trying my best  not to have a complete meltdown.  My apartment is in complete disarray!  You can't walk without  landing on clothes, boxes, shoes or toys.  Everytime I think I'm making progress, I walk into another room and see the gigantic mess.  We desperately need a trip to Ikea but unfortunately can't get there until Friday.  I can't hang anymore clothes until we buy another organizer and hangers.  I have my shoes stored in just about every room in this apartment.  The boys ate breakfast this morning and had to squeeze their little bodies into the chairs because the table was completely surrounded by suitcases. This story should sum up my day for you.... I was pouring Smith a glass of water in the kitchen, standing over an open suitcase that I was about to unload.  As I'm holding the pitcher and pouring, the lid falls off and the entire pitcher pours into the suitcase.  

Sweet Claudette sensed my stress and came to my rescue.  She gave up her first free afternoon, (Ryan started school today) came over to my apartment and helped me unload all the suitcases.  She's amazing and always willing to help.  I would be lost here without her!

Speaking of school, all three boys met their teachers and were toured around their new school today.  Here's a picture we took this morning.  The main entrance is under the flags. 
The first classroom we hit was Smith's.  His second grade teacher Ms Nallie is awesome.  She is from Toronto and super nice!  Smith is thrilled!  From there it was Jake's fourth grade classroom, where his teacher greeted us.  I can't spell or pronounce her name yet but I'm working on it.  She too was very sweet.  Being a former teacher myself, I'm very critical of my children's teachers.  My Garden Hills girls yelled at me last month when I told them that....  but I can't help it.  I have high expectations.  I am happy to report that after meeting them today, I feel really good about this school year.  Finally,  we were off to meet Chase's teachers.  He told me on the train this morning that he was NOT going to this new school because he missed his friends back home.  Well, he was true to his word.  He held on to me so tight that I couldn't get away.  Both teachers, Ms. Jeanna (pronounced Gina) and Mr. Fares were great.  They took him from me (he was hysterical crying) while I went to the parent orientation.  An hour or so later I went back to Chase's classroom to pick him up and he was practically leading the lesson.  He was answering all the questions, smiling and really enjoying himself.  When we walked out, he said, "Mommy, I love my new school".  

The weather has been perfect.  I have all my windows in the apartment open and there is a warm breeze that flows through making this chaos just a bit easier to bare.  It is kind of strange to not have any screens on the windows though.  It has become very commonplace for bees to zoom through our home and exit out another window.  Every once in a while one will get trapped inside and can't seem to figure a way out...  That's when my pink zapper ( as Chase calls it) comes out and that sucker sees the end of his life.  By the way, the pink zapper is an ordinary fly swatter. As many of you know, bugs are not my thing.  If this apartment had spiders, roaches, or beetles I would be on the next flight back home....  But bees, not a problem.

I'm really trying to stay positive through this crazy time in my life because I know there will be amazing days that lie ahead and one day I'll look back on this and have a great laugh.  So check this out, I've decided to move past the fact that my bathroom does not have an outlet.  I found a fabulous place to not only do my hair, but also set up my makeup station......  MY CLOSET.  Yes, it's the perfect place.  It's big, has giant windows, a full length mirror and..... An OUTLET!!!!  Why there's an outlet in my closet and not in my bathroom is a question I ask myself everyday....  but I'm letting it go, remember?  
I am signing off now to get some sleep because the sunlight comes in at 5am.  I bought Blinkies ( or as Steve calls them eyebras) to sleep in.  This will be the first trial.  Nighty night!


 


  



 



 


 

1 comment:

  1. So proud of the boys adapting to the new school so well, especially little Chase. Sounds like it was close. Hope you haven't started Jake on a life of crime, but perhaps the records won't transfer back to the States. Hope the eyebras (love that name!) work, and have faith; I know you will have the apt functioning like a home before August is over. Hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete