Monday, August 26, 2013

And Then There Was LIGHT.....

Sunday was not a very exciting day, yet it was very busy.  My apartment is looking more and more like a home.  As a matter of fact, Smith asked today if we have any boxes left.  When I said, "NOPE", he said, "does this mean we live here now?"  I guess it does!  Thanks to a low key Sunday, I was able to get a lot done.  It started with a run.   I love running on Sunday mornings, most things are closed and there are very few people on the road.  This allows me to explore new places without the anxiety of getting lost.  I've been wanting to understand the walking route from my apartment to the school.  I only know the train route.  I knew the direction of the school and my starting point so I ventured out....  WA LA!!!  Not only did I find the boys' school, but I also stumbled upon an amazing park.  There was a huge playground, a very maintained turf soccer field, basketball courts and a skate rink.  There were paths throughout for running and walking.  I took pictures of the street names and the monument of the park so I could go home and map it.  Without my pictures.. there wasn't a chance I would find it again.


After my run, I made "Sunday Sauce" (the boys have been asking for spaghetti and meatballs since we arrived) while Steve and Jake took Smith to his first soccer practice.  Smith was very nervous but after Jake gave him a pep talk, he left with a smile.  The coach was very nice and helped Smith feel welcome.  He had a great practice and came home happy.  Both boys struggle a bit with the language barrier at practice.  I'm sure this will get better as they learn some basic Swedish words.

Our busy schedule has wiped out poor Chase.  Mommy is completely pooped at the end of the day as well.  Between the walking, carrying heavy groceries, cleaning and unpacking, there isn't any downtime.  Sunday afternoon I managed to sneak in a nap.  I haven't napped since Chase was born!  It felt GREAT!

The weekend flew by and Monday was here before I knew it.  Steve flew to Russia today and this was the first week I would be alone in our new country.  For some reason I wasn't nervous.  Poor Steve flew all the way to Russia only to find out he was not welcome in their country.  They kicked him out the minute he arrived... of course he had to sit alone in a room for over an hour (there was something wrong with his Visa) before  they actually let him leave.  So.. he's on a flight back to Sweden as we speak. In the meantime, I went to my first Outdoor Fit class today.  The class is in English and it takes place in various parks throughout Stockholm.  Each Sunday night we get an email telling us where the class will be that week.  Here's my favorite part of the story..... the park we had class in today..... Humlegården!  The same park I accidentally stumbled upon yesterday when I was running!  Yeah... I knew where I was going and didn't need detailed directions!  My friend Lori and I met at the school and walked there together.  When I arrived at the school, the middles school students were walking out for recess.  I was so impressed by how many of them were eating apples, bananas and various fruits.  The school deserves much credit for this.  They encourage healthy eating and go as far as providing the fruit for the students.  I didn't see any junk food, soda, chips etc. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure it's even allowed in the school.  Now that's walking the walk!

Class was fun.  Pernille, the owner/instructor was a great lady with a very fun and motivating personality.  She is building her business here in Stockholm and I was able to sit with her after class and discuss some options for me as an instructor.  More on that in a later blog.  After taking the class today, I realized how much I miss teaching and I'm anxious to start again.  The class was an outdoor boot camp/interval training.  It was good, but not as challenging as No Limits Circuit.  :)  Lori and I bought a nine week package.  As soon as I get my personal number, I will be able to join a gym and hopefully teach there.  I really miss Spin classes.

Well.. you are probably wondering about the title of this blog.  I met a new friend today, my handyman, Georgios.  He was here to look at the light switch in the master bedroom.  After Steve managed to get the light fixture hung, he realized the switch was broken.    Aghhhhh!!!!  So close to having light in our bedroom.  My electrician husband has not been a happy camper lately!  Back to Georgios..... I think he felt sorry for us, living in the dark for a week, so he hung all of our lights, free of charge (I think).  He even ran down to the lighting store to buy some extra parts that we didn't have, but needed.  He's a good man that Georgios!!  He's my Schneider.   Remember One Day At A Time?


My Swedish observations today.....  I've seen a lot of pregnant ladies over the course of two weeks.  Is it me, or are they all really fit and really healthy!   They look fabulous!  It makes me want to have another.  Ha ha ha.... JUST KIDDING!!!  My other observation, not as positive.... there is no radio editing here.  American music is playing in most restaurants and stores.  There are "F bombs" flying all over the place.  The best part, nobody thinks anything of it.  My kids are going to either have potty mouths after these two years, or be so desensitized to it that the word won't affect them at all.  Either way, I'm not a fan!

This morning I woke up and read my friend Janet's Caring Bridge site.  She is struggling with breast cancer and her positive attitude and outlook on life is so inspiring to me.  I laugh and cry each time I read her words.  I'm truly amazed by her strength.  She helps me put my life in perspective.  As annoying as it is to live in the dark, get lost in a strange city, not be able to read a menu, and have to move away from all of our friends and family, I realized today that I am blessed to have my health.  My problems are small and insignificant compared to what she is facing.  So Janet, thank you for that reality check today and I pray that you will continue to find peace through your battle and continue to have the strength and faith to face what you are fighting head on.

I leave you with these little faces!    I love them so much and I'm really proud of how well they are adjusting to life here in Sweden!




3 comments:

  1. Another great blog today, Squid! So much going on in your busy little lives. The whole navigating alone thing still blows me away. You are a brave little girl and you inspire me! Aunt Joan is probably have a small cow right about now. Love those babies! Poor Steve.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you enjoyed the outdoor class! I do hope you can start teaching soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Smith's question about the boxes, and great deductive reasoning on his part! Such a smart little guy. And so many of your stories are showing such growing maturity on Jake's part; loved the pep talk story. Poor little Chase, perhaps you will have to give in and take him some places in the stroller so he can take a nap now and then. OK, now I am wishing I could give each of them big hugs; please do it for me. Steve deserves one also for being detained in Russia. Scary! And you....any day now you can get a job as a Stockholm tour guide. Wow.

    ReplyDelete