Monday, September 9, 2013

Weekend update

It started on Thursday... when Steve called with the exciting news that we finally received our PERSONAL NUMBERS!  What this meant to me was, A NEW CELL PHONE.  I no longer had to use a headpiece in order for others to hear me.  A BANK CARD of my own...  Steve and I no longer had to share a bank card and we could actually pay for things like normal people.   First thing Friday morning we headed to the bank only to find out that we need the actual paperwork along with my personal number in order to get a card.  We only received ours over the phone, the actual mail copy would take another few days.  Strike one.... Next we headed to the Telenor for phone service.  Even though we received our numbers, the powers that be hadn't put them in the system yet.  So.... strike two still no cell service.  At this point, we had about 30 minutes until we had to be at the school for a meeting.  Steve was starving and insisted that we try and squeeze in a meal.  Things are a lot slower paced here, especially dining out... so I was not quite as confident that we would pull this off.  We decided on a cafe that was directly next to the school.  After figuring out where to sit and how to order, we took a seat outside.  Five minutes went by and still had no menus, so I took it upon myself to get my own.  As I was walking into the restaurant, our waitress was walking out looking at me like I was crazy.  As I'm moving back to our table, I see Steve gobbling down lasagna.  Apparently lasagna was the only lunch option.  I was really annoyed at the fact that I couldn't eat this really yummy looking food due to all my stupid food allergies... then I became more annoyed at Steve for enjoying it so much and pretending that he felt bad for me (he was starving).  But.... I was most annoyed because 60% of the time, I have NO CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND ME!  The good news, we chose the quickest lunch place in Stockholm...  The bad news, I couldn't eat and I was really hungry! (This is Steve interjecting as this was left open on the Mac....I did feel bad for her...but not bad enough to let hers go to waste. Two plates of lasagna in under 3 minutes and we weren't at a gas station...awesome. 

After the meeting, we had a few hours before having to be back to pick up the boys.  I remembered running by a cool shopping district, so I used my wonderful sense of direction and off we went.  I wasn't too far off... only a block or two.  We found it and shopped a bit.  This is where I found the most amazing raw cafe!  I was in heaven to see the smoothies made from all fresh veggies and fruits.  They had gluten free bread, power bars, and delicious looking food.  I grabbed a smoothie and it hit the spot!  Check it out.
After shopping, we had about an hour to kill so we headed over to another cafe where we sat outside.  I had a much needed glass of wine along with almonds and olives.  It was a perfect way to unwind before we picked up the boys.   I love Europe!!!

Today marked an exciting event... I picked up a package for the first time.  As most of you know, I love Amazon.  When we lived in Atlanta, I ordered everything online.  I was a Prime member, so shipping was free.  Why not sit home and enjoy shopping that way?  Well, coming here, I was sad to say goodbye to my Amazon shopping.... until I discovered Amazon U.K.   I am now an Amazon Prime member in both countries (you have to use different email addresses though).  I made a purchase for the first time and received a text on my phone about 4 days later that it arrived.  I needed to go to the grocery store down the street to pick it up though.  I will admit I was a bit nervous being that I had no clue what to do once inside.  Before long, I figured it out (I didn't even have to ask anyone) and my new bag was in hand!   We ended our Friday with dinner at Texas Long Horn.   I needed some good old American  comfort food.  I ordered a big bowl of chili and life was good again.  I do need my American fixes every now and again.  

Saturday arrived and what a day it was going to be.  Jake had a game on a field way outside of the city.  We are working on a car solution, but it hasn't been finalized yet, so......train and bus it was.  An hour later we arrived!  Game went well... Jake loves his team and loves playing soccer so all is good in his world!    Saturday was filled with errands and nothing more exciting than that.  Sunday was here before we knew it.  I went for an early morning run in search of a tennis center that I've heard so much about.  I mapped it out and headed in that direction.  I found many things, a pro soccer complex, ICA Maxi (see below for more) and some amazing sites.... but no tennis.  According to Google Maps, I was standing .2 miles from it,  but I never found it.  That is typical in my world.  I attempt to find it this week and try again.  Here are some photos I took on my run. 

Smith had practice at 9:30 so while Steve took him, I made lasagna.  Chase, Jake and I headed out in search of velcro sneakers for Chase.  He needs to have indoor shoes that he can take on and off himself.    While we were shopping (a few blocks from our house), Steve and Smith were having lunch across the street.  Steve got to talking with a lady who told him about a sporting goods store that is half price.  Guess where????  On the same street as the tennis center.    This happens a lot, I'll discover something on my run only to find out later there are a ton of things there.  Steve suggested that I start learning the bus system so we looked up the bus times and Jake and I decided to head back to that mini mall in search of the sporting goods store.  It was quite comical watching us try and locate the bus stop.  I learned right then that there are different bus stops on the same street.  I won't go into detail on how to find the bus, but will tell you that Jake and I walked around the same street twice before we found it.  It was actually about 10 steps from the bus stop we tried first.  ha ha ha  We rode the bus to the store, Jake hoping I had a clue where to get off.  I recognized it all from my run and we made it!  We also found all the things we needed in the store, including the crazy rain pants for Chase.  I finally found a rain coat for myself too.  Now I want it to rain so I can wear it.  :)  We had about two hours before we had to leave for Jake's game.  The field we went to is about a mile walk after a fifteen minute train ride.  It's not terrible now..... but dreading it in the rain and snow.  We pull out the jog stroller for Chase ONLY when we have a long walk at the end of a day.  He is very thankful!

Monday morning....boy the weeks are flying by.  We've been here ONE MONTH already.  I met Claudette and Lori after drop off this morning to head back to ICA Maxi (the mall I went to on Sunday with Jake).  This store reminded me of Super Target... only with less options and less of each item.  I was thrilled to find it though!  We shopped for hours and I came home with lots of goodies!  Check me out with my shopping cart!  

Inside this cart is also rain gear for the older boys.  When they both tried the pants on.... they both claimed that only dorks wear these.  hahaah  We headed back to my neck of the woods and Claudette introduced me to a few more really cool stores.  I pass them everyday and have never gone in.  We ate lunch at great cafe that made the most amazing salads.  Since I can eat goat cheese, and it's VERY popular here,  I was very happy!  After a long day of shopping it was time for me to get a cell phone.  My personal number should have cleared the system by now... so off I went.  The guy in the store, who knows me by first name because I'm in there so much.... informed me that today I STILL COULDN'T get service.  Why, you ask..... because I don't work here and I don't pay taxes.  Aghhhhh!!!  If I don't laugh at this, I will cry.  So.... no phone yet!  I now have to wait for Steve to get it and put it in his name.  I jump through hoops and do magic tricks everyday in Stockholm to get things done.  

Well.. boys are coming home from school and it's time for a crazy Monday night.  Jake has practice at 7:00.  I didn't realize how hard it would be to talk to friends and family back home.  The six hour time difference has made it really difficult.  The great chatting hours for me are between 9am-2pm which means you all will have to be awake from 3am-8am.   So... if you want to wake up a little early this week and call me, I would love to talk.  Remember, call my local cell and it SHOULD ring to my cell through Skype.  I've heard Skype is having issues right now so many of us are not hearing the ring.  If that happens, text me and tell me you want to call.  If I'm staring at my phone, I can see Skype ringing.  

2 comments:

  1. OMG, another blog post that left me laughing out loud. Of course, maybe your stories aren't as funny to you as they are happening, but hooray for you seeing the humour in the situations to share with us. (Steve's post quite funny also).
    Tell the boys I can't wait to see photos of them in their dorky rain pants. Hugs, Gamma

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have an iphone or ipad - try Voxer it is a walkie talkie app and it's great with kids, my nieces all have it on their ipad's and you can also share photos on it!

    ReplyDelete