Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I'm not alone

So far this week is about discovering new places  and realizing I'm not alone in this crazy, fun journey.  When I'm walking around the city, it's difficult to know what's inside each store.  The names are in Swedish so I have no idea if I'm passing a clothing store, a home goods store or a liquor store.  The liquor stores look like they could be car rental places or even jewelry stores, based on the the way the sign looks.

 Tuesday started off with a circuit training workout in the park with some of my new friends.  I had mentioned that I was going to set up circuits in the park and start working out on my own.  Some of the girls overheard me talking and asked to join.  There were four of us yesterday and it was awesome.  It was similar to No Limits... but we had access to hills and steps which added to the intensity.  I'm sore today!!!


After the workout, I was able to clean my apartment.  The dust is never ending!!!  With the windows open all day long, the dust just grows and grows.  My project next week is to call various cleaning services and figure out how to get my apartment cleaned on a weekly basis.  According to many, you are frowned upon if you don't use someone, because then you're not contributing to the economy.  This whole subsidized business is very confusing to me.  I'll figure it out sooner or later!  Since Tuesdays are our ONLY night with no soccer.... we can all sit down as a family for dinner together.  It is my favorite day of the week.  It's so nice to not rush homework, let Chase relax (he's so tired after a full day of school and the walking), and actually catch up as a family.

Wednesday was a day of information.  The PTA organized a "Welcome to Stockholm" meeting.  All newbies were encouraged to come and learn about the ins and outs of living here.  It was really good!  We broke into small groups and there was an agenda.. but we were able to focus on the specific needs of the group.  I learned a lot of things today.... for one, Don't Drink and Drive in Sweden.  I love that they crack down on this here.  Now that the kids and I are walking the streets so much, it's nice to know there aren't drunk drivers near us.  Apparently, there is a ZERO tolerance for drinking and driving.  In other words, if you are pulled over for speeding or any traffic violation, you automatically have a sobriety test.  If they detect ANY amount of alcohol in your system, you lose your license.  I also learned a lot about the medical system here.  I am NOT excited about doctor visits.  Let's hope the Payne's do not get sick.  There are numerous clinics and doctor offices around Stockholm.  They are NOTHING like ours... but perhaps picture a walk in clinic/ ER facility for a better visual.  Apparently,  I will be assigned a specific facility, however, they only answer their phones one hour a day and it's rare to get a same day appointment.  However, you can go into the walk-in clinics and be seen that day... but make sure you get sick during the hours of 9-4 (or whatever hours that specific clinic chooses).  I'm assuming there is a wait too.  From what I hear,  there are very few illnesses where you will receive medication and all the begging and pleading won't change things.  Ear infections DO NOT fall into that category.  I"m really looking forward to those long nights of ear infections.  American friends... don't throw away your meds... the Paynes will take them.  hee hee  I won't go into detail on the "lady" doctor visits other than to say, it's a good thing I had three children and modesty is not my hangup.  However, there's a good chance I will pay out of pocket when I come home for Christmas and visit Dr. Anthony. :)  I don't want this to turn into a debate.. that's not what my blog is about... however, strongly consider how much you really think socialized medicine is a positive for America!

Recycling.... I'm feeling really guilty about this.  As you know, when we lived in the states, I was a die- hard recycler!  Moving here, they make it VERY difficult to recycle.  My apartment building doesn't have recycle bins in or near it, so in order to recycle, I must walk across the park (about 1/4 mile) where the bins are kept.  BUT.... it's not like the states, where you throw it all in one bin.  You have to separate plastic, cardboard, bottles (one bin for colored bottles and one for clear),  newspapers, junk mail, magazines, and metal.  All plastic and bottles have to be empty and cleaned out with no caps attached.  I'm sorry... but with three children, how am I supposed to manage this with as much recycle as we have in one day.  I know all my tree hugger friends are starting to fret.... don't!  I will figure out a system and I WILL RECYCLE.  For two reasons.... the environment AND.... I will be fined if I'm caught throwing recycle in the garbage cans.  Trying to stay on the right side of the law!

I learned a lot about the Swedish education system.  According to my local Swedish friends, the system here is less than ideal.  I had heard differently before living here... but that's the skinny around town.  My children are in an International school and follow that system.  One lady was telling me that you have to register your child for school the DAY they are born in order to get in the "good" schools.  She didn't and is now paying for her child to go to the International school.  She's okay with it.. because she was considering this anyhow, but still crazy, right?  Could you imagine thinking about schools after giving birth!!!

On a funnier note, I've been writing about how loud we are as an American family.  After talking to other Americans, they all feel the same way.  You will hear us a mile away.  One, we talk A LOT and the Swedes don't.  The volume of our voices are MUCH higher than the locals.  We also discipline our children.... loudly.  From what I can see, Swedes have a much more layed back approach to controlling their children.  I"m not sure which is better.... but I will say, they all must think I'm horrible.  When we are in the train, Smith has climbed the bar and is touching the top of the train, while Chase is grabbing his legs and Jake is insisting on balancing while the train is throwing him left and right, this Mama is not happy.  I am giving mean looks while sternly barking orders at them.  I wonder if they have child services here???

The best news of the week.... I have a new cell phone.   The kids received a VERY special package from Bebop and Kiki yesterday, new skateboards.  Bebop wanted his grandsons to have the best boards when they're at the skate park.  They are so excited to try them out.  Check out the video
Receiving the package was quite an interesting event.  Thankfully I was home when Steve called me.  He said that Fed Ex was downstairs with a package for us.  Well.. I had no clue that Fed Ex existed here, nor did I think they delivered to our door.. but... they did.  The man even put it in the elevator for me and spoke perfect English.  I actually felt like I was in America for a brief second.

Grocery shopping still stresses me out.  I'm somewhat over the fact that I have to lug heavy bags home.. that's not the stressful part.  I really need to start shopping in smaller quantities.  Let's see if I can give you a visual.  I load my items on the belt to be rung up.  The belt is MUCH smaller than the one at Publix.  The cashier ONLY rings your items and does NOT lift a finger to help you bag.  You always bring your own bags.  I'm frantically trying to get all my groceries into my bags quickly because as soon as my things are rung up and I have payed, the next customer's things are flying down the belt towards mine.  Swedes are not smiley people, so that customer is usually staring at me.. probably thinking, "get out of my way".  I'm very picky on how my bags are packed.. but that is not even an option here.  I'm just praying that I can bag these suckers quickly and get out of the way.  The next obstacle is getting all the bags into my cart.  By the time I get home, I am sweating and frazzled.  The one good thing that came out of my last grocery run, was this juice.

 I had it once at a restaurant and loved it!  It's kind of like cranberry juice only less tart.  It's very refreshing... not sweet at all.  I'll have to research what Lingon fruit's health benefits are.

Well... it's time to pick up the kids.  Remember in the last blog when I wanted it to rain so I could wear my new rain coat...... on it goes!  I'll be hiking to the school in the pouring rain.

As a country, today marks a sad day.  We all remember where we were 12 years ago.  Many lives were taken that horrible day.  Let's remember the families left behind and say a special prayer for all the victims of 9/11.  I would also like to wish my sweet niece a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  Blake, we love you and will try to stay awake to call you for your 5th birthday. 

Bebop.. I know you like to look up the streets that I traveled each day.  I was on this street and drottninggatan a lot today.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is great - I remember when I moved to the USA almost 20 years ago and I thought I had issues.....my biggest complaint was people were way to friendly and sales people (at Sports Authority) scared me!!
    Lingon berry is a great source on B vitamins and if you can find it in jam/jelly it is great!!!!

    ReplyDelete