Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A VERY EVENTFUL DAY

I'm sitting at Smiths practice after a very crazy day.  It started out with a simple agenda...  PTA meeting followed by threading.  Yes, we found a threading place that just so happens to be a 5 min walk from my house.  I'll admit I was a bit nervous to hand over my eyebrows to this non-English speaking woman...  but I'm proud to announce, she was fabulous.  The universal language of eyebrow shaping is a wonderful thing.  I was really embarrassed at first.  It has been a long time since these "bad boys" had work done on them.  I was approaching a unibrow!  The cost in the states is less than $10.  I paid 150 kroner here.  About $20. Not so bad considering the markup on manicures.
The PTA meeting, I will admit was not something I was thrilled to attend.  I knew I had to, but from my experience, they are not exciting.  This meeting was actually quite good.  Along with volunteering for numerous committees, we were also introduced to the various adult clubs we could join.  They had everything from book clubs to craft clubs to exercise groups. I joined the movie club (see a movie once a month) lunch club(eat at different restaurants once a month), walking club, and the out and about club.  This one sounds awesome.  Once a week we go to a different place in Stockholm..  Touristy things included. I'll be a great host to all my visitors after this club.  
I couldn't figure out why the train to school was so jam packed today.  Don't get me wrong, we are usually squashed like sardines causing Chase to lose his cool and become very impatient with the crowds.  Today we actually had to let a train go and grab the next one because it was completely full.  Come to find out, it was because Obama is in Stockholm.  Without getting into my political views, I was one of the few Americans here that was not the least bit interested in seeing Obama or hearing about his schedule.  I thought I had escaped him until a group of my friends were sitting at lunch and directly in front of us became a crime scene. 

Eating lunch BEFORE the craziness

There were police barricades , plain clothes security, tons of policeman, people being redirected as they walked, and eventually bomb squads.  The ladies were hoping for a photo shoot of Obama...  Instead we all got a "run for your life" bomb threat.  Interesting...  to say the least.  

Here's a picture of the tape being put up very early on

When we saw this guy... we started realizing something was wrong


The excitement continued (well not that crazy), after school. I get the boys home, eat a snack, and rush out the door for Smith's soccer practice only to arrive at a team practice that is NOt smith's.  After a few translations, I learned that our practice was voluntary due to the Obama road closings. Thankfully, the other coach asked Smith to join their practice.  I told you the communication here is nonexistent.  It's a guessing game each time we come to practice.  Speaking of communication., here's another good story.

Let me back up.  Remember Schneider, my handyman?  Well his name is not really Schneider, that's my nickname for him.  I have always thought his real name was Georgios. Claudette and Lori always refer to the man that works on things in their apartment as Georgios.  Since we are all with Ericsson, the apartment company is the same.  However, when I told them certain things about my Georgios, they sometimes looked surprised and often said, "wow...he does that for you". So we are at school picking up kids today and Lori calls me over to tell me that Georgios is on the phone, he has been trying to call me, and he's at my apartment waiting to put my lights up. I beg him to wait and promise that I'll be there in 20 min.  The kids and I sprint through the streets to get home so he doesn't leave.  When we arrive, no sign of him.  I text him to tell him we are home and he claims he's here too.  Keep in mind he's been at my home two times already. Well...  He then asks me if I'm on the 33rd floor.  No Georgios, I say, "you've been here twice, I'm on the 4th floor".  "Oh that is not right".  "What is your address?"  He swears he's never been to this address before. At this point I'm thinking Georgios is a little crazy...  But I don't want him to leave because I need my lights installed. He of course thinks I'm nuts because I'm talking to him like we know each other.  We soon figure out that Georgios is not my Schneider.  That man, whom I've never seen again, is a completely different handyman!  He was supposed to come back last Thursday and for some reason never did.  I just assumed they were the same person. Come back Schneider...  I need you! 

Along with the crowds at the train today, people were exceptionally rude.  Maybe as ticked off that Obama was here as I was.  Apparently I was in this certain man's way and instead of saying "excuse me", he thought pushing me out of the way was a better option.  Oh I love the courtesy here. 

After the bomb threat, the ladies and I decided to find a coffee/tea house where we could sit. We had an hour before pickup.  As we were walking, this is what we came across.  Look at the masks over the statues' faces.
 We learned that the people were protesting Obama being here.  This was seen throughout the city.  

It was nice to sit down and relax for a few minutes.  I walked many miles today. Here are some pictures of this deceivingly large Expresso House.  

Some other eventful moments this week... Chase is no longer crying at drop off!  For those of you that know Chase, crying is REALLY out of character for him.  He's been the child that has never stressed about us leaving.  Yeah Chase!!!  He's proud to tell everyone too.... 
Remember the rain gear I posted last week?  The outfit the little girl was wearing at the park?  Well.. I found out today that Chase must have that at school.  The kids go out to play EVERYDAY... rain or shine.  The teachers dress them in all the rain clothes at recess.  I'm off to find those next week.  Rumor has it the boys are required to have them as well.  My boys have already told me they REFUSE to wear them.  I'm still investigating, but from what I hear, they go out even when it's pouring and without protective rain gear, they will not be aloud out.  That is not going to fly with them, so I'm sure I'll be sneaking some rain outfit pictures of them when they're not looking.  Hahaha

Without going into detail, I threw my neck out again.  As many of you know, this happens quite often and I've been in neck therapy for over a year now.  Of course moving here stressed me because I don't have a doctor. I decided a chiropractor was needed so I asked around.  I have a reliable source here, so she gave me his name.  THe next day we were talking (I was planning on calling him that day to schedule an appointment), she mentions that the chiropractors here are not "fluffy with bells and whistles".. her words were, "no white robes and all".  Well.. I've never had that, so I was fine with this news.  After talking to her for a bit more, she mentions that the proper attire was to wear my underwear and bra.  Needless to say, I'm still looking for a chiropractor.  

I desperately miss my garbage disposal!  Thought I would share that.

Finally, there's some confusion with my cell phone and how to call me.  For all my U.S friends, in order to call me FREE OF CHARGE, dial my regular cell phone that I've had for the past six years.  It will automatically ring to my Skype app and we can talk.  For texting, download "whatsapp" and use that for all texting. If you need help with any of it let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment